Professional and Academic Background:
BA (Jurisprudence), MA, Oxford University, St Catherine's College (2005)
Admitted as a solicitor in England and Wales (2008)
Admitted to practice as an attorney in California (2011)
Significant experience in international commercial litigation and arbitration, and public international law matters, before national and international courts and arbitral tribunals:
- Commercial litigation: assisting with claims before the English courts involving a wide range of commercial matters and applications including breach of contract, abuse of position, disclosure, default judgment, freezing injunctions, summary judgment/strike out and challenges to arbitration awards.
- Public international law: assisting in claims before the English courts involving matters of Act of State, non-justiciability, state immunity, immunity of and constitutional issues relating to international organisations, and before the International Court of Justice.
- International arbitration: provision of legal research and drafting assistance in a wide range of matters, including breach of contract, intellectual property contract and energy disputes.
- Speaker at a number of international conferences on topics relating to international law and arbitration, including international investment protection, regional arbitration centres, and international sanctions.
- In addition, prior to joining McNair Chambers, additional experience in international finance, tax and corporate matters as junior/lead associate on a number of matters, including international commercial and business litigation (including high value breaches of contract, breaches of fiduciary duty, fraudulent real estate transactions, trade secrets, fraudulent and negligent misrepresentation, and professional malpractice); and international corporate tax (including drafting and negotiation of tax documentation in relation to mergers and acquisitions, public listings, real estate and high value finance transactions).
- Associate/Senior Associate, McNair Chambers, Doha, Qatar (July 2012 – present)
- Associate, Howarth & Smith, Los Angeles (August 2011 – May 2012)
- Associate/trainee, Mayer Brown International LLP, London (September 2006 - December 2010)
- “Arab World Litigants in the English Courts (2019-2020)” (with Khawar Qureshi QC and Joseph Dyke) (International Journal of Arab Arbitration (2021))
- “The End of the Qatar Blockade” (with Joseph Dyke) (MENA Business Law Review, 2021)
- “Arbitration of M&A Transactions – A Practical Global Guide” (with Joseph Dyke) (2020)
- “The Qatar Diplomatic Crisis - Two Years On” (with Khawar Qureshi QC) (Qatar Business Law Review, 2021)
- “Conflicts of Interest in International Arbitration” (2016) (with Khawar Qureshi QC)
- “Bilateral Investment Treaty Claims: The Essentials” (2016) (assisted Khawar Qureshi QC)
- “Advisory Opinions of the International Court of Justice” (2018) (with Khawar Qureshi QC and Joseph Dyke)
- “Public International Law Before the English Courts” (published 2016) (assisted Khawar Qureshi QC)
- “Protection of Shareholders under the European Convention of Human Rights and the ‘Margin of Appreciation’” (with Khawar Qureshi QC) (2013)
- “Tax aspects of commodity derivative transactions” (with Sandy Bhogal), Commodity Derivatives (published in 2010)
- “Prudential and privilege - Legal professional privilege in England” (with Michael Cashman), International Tax Report (February 2010)
- “US and UK tax aspects of corporate debt” (with Michael Cashman), BNA Corporate Debt Special Report (April 2009)
- “Corporate migrations from the UK” (with Michael Cashman), International Tax Report (March 2009)
- “Tax Aspects of US/UK Reorganisations” (with Michael Cashman), BNA Special Report (2009)