Dr. Ali Abusedra
Dr. Ali Abu Sedra is a pioneer in several areas of law and has played a prominent role in leading international businesses and projects. He provides legal, negotiating and strategic advice and services to governments, organizations, companies, and individuals. He has served as an arbitrator and as an expert on Libyan law issues arising in cases before the UK courts.
Dr. Ali Abu Sedra graduated from the Faculty of Law of the University of Benghazi in 1977 and worked as a legal advisor to a petrochemicals organization affiliated to the Ministry of Oil in Libya. He completed his education in the United Kingdom where he received a Diploma in International Organizations, a Master’s degree in International Law and a PhD in International Economics Law at the University of Hull where he currently is a visiting scholar searching in international investment and economic law.
Undergraduate Law Degree, University of Benghazi (1977)
Diploma in International Organizations, University of Hull (1982)
LLM (International Law), University of Hull (1984)
Ph.D. (International Economic Law), University of Hull (1999)
Appointments and Professional Memberships:
- 1977-1980 – Legal Consultant, Petrochemicals in Libya
- 1987-1988 – Director of Legal Department, Charif Investment Ltd (UK)
- 1999-2002 – Legal Consultant, Dubai Customs and Ports Authority
- 2002-2003 – Legal Consultant and Vice President for Foreign Affairs, Ajman Chamber of Commerce
- 2003-2010 – Director of Business Legislation Division, Department of Economic Development, Government of Abu Dhabi
- 2010-2020 – Legal Expert, Secretariat of the Council of Ministers in Qatar
- 2019-present – Research Scholar, University of Hull
Commercial Law, International Arbitration, Public International Law, Cyber Law
Further details of specific practice areas and experience can be obtained by emailing: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Acted as a consultant to Governments (Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Ajman, Qatar, and others), Sovereign Wealth Funds, and leading real estate and investment companies in, amongst others, UAE, Qatar, Jordan, Morocco and Syria.
- Served as an arbitrator on an arbitration seated in the International Islamic Centre for Reconciliation & Arbitration in Dubai.
- Served as a consultant to clients on many arbitrations seated in Abu Dhabi.
Public International Law:
- Participated on behalf of the United Arab Emirates in negotiations with the US Government concerning free trade agreements between the two countries.
- Participated in negotiations concerning oil and gas sharing agreements between Sharjah and Ajman.
- Participated on behalf of lawyers of the International Criminal Court in negotiations on matters concerning persons detained in Libya.
- Provided consultancy services to sovereign States on matters before the International Court of Justice and the International Criminal Court.
Research & Publications:
- ‘The Turkey/Libya Maritime Agreement’ (upcoming)
- ‘The Cyprus/Turkey Maritime Dispute’ (upcoming)
- Author of chapter on ‘Impact of Unilateral Sanctions on Regional Integration Treaties with Special Reference to the Gulf Cooperation Council’ in Subedi (ed), Unilateral Sanctions in International Law (upcoming, to be published in June 2021)
- Co-author of chapter on ‘Use of Cyber Means to Enforce Unilateral Coercive Measures in International Law’ in Subedi (ed), Unilateral Sanctions in International Law (upcoming, to be published in June 2021)
- Author of chapter on ‘The Independence of the Libyan Judiciary: Constitutional Provisions’ in Toperich and Abusedra (eds), Unheard Voices of the Next Generation: Emergent Leaders in Libya (2020)
- Author of chapter on ‘Democratization of Libya Through Economic Measures: The Example of Specialized Economic Zones’ in Toperich and Abusedra (eds), Unheard Voices of the Next Generation: Emergent Leaders in Libya (2020)
- ‘Resolving disputed maritime borders vital for regional peace in Eastern Mediterranean’, published in The Hill (March 2020)
- Contributor to the draft Libyan Constitutional Declaration (2011)
- Chair of the Committee for the Draft of Small and Medium Business Legislation in Libya
- Contributor to drafts of various legal instruments in multiple jurisdictions:
- Qatar: Real Estate Law
- UAE: Company Law
- UAE: Arbitration Law
- UAE: Law Establishing the Higher Corporation for Specialized Economic Zones
- Abu Dhabi: By-laws of the Department of Economic Development
- Ajman: Law Establishing the Ajman Chamber of Commerce
- Ajman: Law Establishing the Ajman Conciliation and Arbitration Center
- Ajman: By-laws of the University of Ajman
- ‘The Organisation of Petroleum Exporting Countries: a study of its organisation, policies and legal significance’, PhD thesis submitted at the University of Hull (UK) (1998)